Student Members' Frequently Asked Questions

We hope this will answer most of your questions. If there is anything here that we haven't answered please contact us at Central Office on or 01604 603247 between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday to Thursday and we will be happy to help you.

When does my Membership start?

Your Student Membership starts from the day you actually join NFSH (The Healing Trust) and not from the date of your first training course.

Do referees need to have known me for 2 years?

One referee must be a current Healer Member of the organisation who may not necessarily have known you for a long period of time (e.g. your tutor) but your other referee must have known you for some time and be willing to give a reference on you and your suitability to join the Healing Trust as a Student Member.

Can a referee also be my mentor?

A Mentor is a Healer Member willing to mentor you through your student period. Normally your mentor will have been a Healer Member for one year but occasionally someone with less time than this is acceptable.

Do I have to keep the same mentor?

During your two years as a student your mentor may change, move, retire, become ill, or decide they no longer wish to mentor. Although you will need to find another mentor, all meetings and written observations count as part of your student period and are on-going. Your Regional Student Liaison Officer or Chair has a list of members willing to help as mentors.

Does my mentor have to be in my Region?

As long as your mentor is a full Healer Member and you have regular contact with them, they do not have to be in your Region.

How many times do I have to meet with my mentor?

The role of the mentor is to support you through your training. However, your mentor may not live near you, especially if you are in a rural area, so the important thing is to spend a minimum of 6 hours in meetings with your mentor e.g. 3 meetings of 2 hours with your mentor. Make sure you record EVERY meeting in your log book. The other method of working with a mentor is through a group; this might be in a mentor-led development group or through a Healing Centre; in this case, specific one to one sessions are not essential, but you must attend that group for a minimum of 20 hours during your training period.

Do I have to pay my mentor?

Mentors are volunteers but may ask you to contribute towards expenses incurred on your behalf, e.g. if they have to travel to see you, hire rooms for support groups etc. Some mentors also offer additional activities or services, perhaps at their development groups, for which there may be a charge. As you choose your mentor you decide whether to pick someone you pay or not.

Does it matter which log book I have, as my friend has a different one?

The current logbook is very user friendly and is a handy A5 size which makes it easier to fill in. Earlier versions of the log book are a different size; if you would like to change to the A5 version, they are available from Central Office for £2.50. But equally you can continue with the one you have if you prefer.

Do I have to join a Centre before I can apply for Healer Membership?

No, this isn't always possible as some students may not have a Centre near them. However you are expected to gain experience at a Centre, where this is practically possible. Remember that being a part of a Centre is more than the act of Healing. Be aware that it is a two-way journey. Being willing to help with setting up, reception, making tea, washing up and packing away is also a part of belonging to a Centre.

Can I give Healing in any Centre?

Healing Trust Centres and Accredited Centres are encouraged to welcome, help and support students. There are many reasons why a Centre may not be able to accommodate you at a particular time. They may already have a lot of students working there and you may be put on a waiting list. You could contact your Regional Chair or Student Liaison Officer (SLO) and ask if there are any other Centres in your area or any support groups.

Can I work on my own at exhibitions?

No, a full Healer Member must be present. The Healing Trust encourages students to work at exhibitions as it is a valuable experience.

When am I insured?

You are insured to Heal as a student provided you have joined the organisation as a Student Member and have completed Parts 1 and 2 of your training.

What does my insurance cover?

As a student, your insurance is valid provided that:

  • you only practice The Act of Healing as taught in parts 1 and 2 of the Healing Trust syllabus and your tutor has deemed you competent by issuing you with your Certificate. At this point you are a student insured to practise Healing within the limits and ongoing consultation/supervision set down by your mentor. Once students have passed the Membership Panel they are insured to practise as fully qualified Healers and can practise autonomously within Healing Trust guidelines
  • the patients know you are a student and therefore still training
  • you continue ongoing consultation/supervision with your mentor as laid down by the Healing Trust
  • in public, there is a full Healer Member with you
  • Each member is covered individually for the act of Spiritual Healing and for public liability while working as a Spiritual Healer. This means that if you go to someone's home to offer Healing, you are covered if you accidentally damaged their property, etc. If you are working in a public place and slip you would be covered by the public liability insurance of the venue where you are working. If you intend to work at home (whether or not you are charging) you need to check with your home insurance to make sure that your policy covers you for all eventualities.

    Members who are UK residents are covered for giving Healing whilst on holiday overseas, whether voluntary or paid, but do check that Healing is legal in the country that you are visiting. Those who are resident overseas need to find their own insurance, though Balens can help if you live in Spain (and possibly Greece).

    For members who practice other modalities specific insurance cover is required and it is usually cheaper to add other therapies to your existing NFSH (Healing Trust) insurance instead of buying separate policies. Contact Balens Insurance for details - 01684 581880.

    Can I touch the person while giving them Healing?

    The Healing Act is basically hands off but involves some touch so you must always obtain permission from the client before you start working. You must always Heal in accordance with the Code of Conduct. You must not touch in a way that could make the client uncomfortable or embarrassed, or in a way that could be construed as assault or sexual harassment. At exhibitions you must Heal with hands off and in accordance with The Healing Trust recommended Act of Healing.

    In the Act of Healing must I always start on the right?

    The method of Healing recommended by The Healing Trust is a guide for you as a student starting out on your Healing journey. It is also to give uniformity when Healing in public. Ultimately, it does not matter if you start from the left or the right (there may be circumstances where only one side is possible) but ask your tutor for guidance. You will be expected to know the Act of Healing as part of your Panel and it is important to Heal in the manner recommended by The Healing Trust when Healing in public.

    As a student can I charge for Healing in a private capacity?

    It is up to the individual whether they charge or not and quite often a member may accept a donation to help with expenses. You must make it clear that you are a Student Member and any charges should be sensitive and proportionate to your experience. You must also continue ongoing consultation/supervision with your mentor as laid down by the Healing Trust

    What are the required hours of training and experience?

    Training courses Part 1–4 make up approximately 60 hours (+any homework). This leaves approximately 40 hours of training, with log book being maintained and signed, as follows:

  • a minimum of 6 hours with your mentor, face to face OR 20 hours within a group or Healing Centre or Development Group etc with a group leader qualified to act as a mentor and prepared to do so, including signing the log book. Your mentor must observe you giving Healing at least 3 times and your last observation must be no later than 3 months in advance of your Panel application.
  • The rest of your hours can be made up as follows: giving Healing in a Healing Centre or at exhibitions, attending a Development Group, or giving Healing privately e.g. with your family, friends or the public (patients need to sign your log book). Make sure you record every meeting in your log book!

    Do I give my patients for testimonials Healing at least 6 times?

    No, a patient is testifying that they have received benefit from Healing given by you and you may have only given Healing once and had a very positive result. 3 or more times is common. It is necessary that the patient testifying has received Healing only from you during that time. One testimonial can come from the owner of an animal you have worked with. You may not have testimonials from relatives or from those helped only through Distant Healing.

    I only want to work with animals so why must I train on people?

    Spiritual Healing is the same whether given to humans or animals. To demonstrate your ability as a Healer and your suitability to become a Healer Member of the Healing Trust it is necessary to have feedback from people. However, you may include one animal when requesting patient testimonials (through the owner of course!).

    Do I have to complete my student period in two years?

    The Healing Trust encourages a student to go forward for Healer status at around two years. There may be circumstances when this is not appropriate and your mentor will advise and guide you.

    Can anyone become a Healer Member in less than two years?

    In special circumstances, yes. Some people may have a shorter time as a student, as they may have some Advanced Prior (Experiential) Learning of Healing; this will be discussed with Central Office at the very beginning of the application process.

    Do I have to go to Panel in my Region?

    Sometimes there may be a delay before the next Panel in your Region. You may go to a Panel in any Region if one is available.

    Do I have to take a written exam?

    There is no written exam! When you attend the Panel you will be asked about your own development as a Healer, to answer questions on the Code of Conduct (learn it well – you will have to pass this section), and to demonstrate Healing to a member of the Panel. Panel members will do their best to put you at ease and the atmosphere will be friendly and informal.

    What does the membership fee cover?

    The fee covers your insurance (UK members), copies of the Spiritus members' magazine, access to a mentor and the other support mechanisms such as the members’ area of the website, Development Groups, being able to attend a Healing Centre and all the facilities of the organisation. Membership subscriptions also help to run and promote the charity, to teach and develop Healers and to make the public aware of Spiritual Healing.

    Can I spread the cost of membership?

    Yes, you may pay by quarterly direct debit provided it is set up in time for the first payment to be paid on 1st April. Contact Central Office (01604 603247) and they will advise you how to do this.

    Is there a recommended fee for training courses?

    Each tutor sets their course fees according to the costs they incur. Tutors aim to keep course fees at a reasonable level. Use the Healing Trust website to find the course nearest to you and look around the country and see if there are any courses available to you at a different cost. You may attend training courses anywhere in the country with any tutor and you do not need to do all parts of the course with the same tutor.

    I want to start a support group but can I as a student?

    We'd really welcome you running a support group if there isn't one in your area. Be sure to ask your mentor for help and guidance and check with them on any issues that may arise from your meetings. Contact Central Office for guidelines.

    Are students allowed to stand for the Regional Committee?

    Regions welcome help from all Healer and Student Members and your contribution to the committee would be valued. Members with skills are particularly welcome (secretarial, computer, advertising) and treasurers are often hard to find! If you have any kind of experience you feel would benefit The Healing Trust, please do contact your Regional Chair.

    Do I have a say in the running of the Healing Trust?

    All members have a say in the running of your organisation. If you have a concern or constructive idea, please contact your Regional committee. Ideas can be shared nationally by contributing to the Members' Forum on the website or by contacting your Regional Council Representative who takes members' ideas and concerns to Council meetings attended by other Council Representatives and the Board of Trustees.